5 Simple Ways to Start Saving on Your Electric Bill
Electricity is a basic necessity when it comes to running a home – at the very least, you aren’t going to sit around in the dark every day when the sun goes down, are you? But aside from the fact that it’s important for you to be able to see, electricity is also important for many of the major appliances in your home, as well as for other common household items such as computers, printers, and phones.
Now let’s cut to the chase – since you use electricity for a lot of things, it can be pretty easy to rack up a large bill at the end of the month. The good news, though, is that by making some small changes to your habits and daily routines, you can start to see some big savings! Here’s what you can try:
- Check each room in your house before bed to make sure that all lights and ceiling fans have been shut off, then check to make sure you haven’t left electronics plugged in – remember vampire power?
- Still using incandescent light bulbs? If so, start making the switch to LED or CFL bulbs. Although the upfront costs might be a bit higher, they use less energy, which is better for your wallet in the long run.
- Change the air filter in your heating and cooling equipment about once a month. Though this is a simple task it is often overlooked, and dirty filters can really cause costs to climb.
- Stop opening the refrigerator door so often. We’re all guilty of standing in front of the fridge trying to figure out what to eat, but this wastes a ton of energy.
- Make sure there are no leaks around windows and doors for the air to escape out of. When these are present, the air that your A/C and furnace produces essentially goes to waste, and your systems have to work harder to keep you comfortable.
TFC Electric Inc. provides top-of-the-line electrical services to all of Suffolk County. For more information about what is offered, please call (631) 589-2800 today.