Electrical Repairs & Troubleshooting in Suffolk County


Electrical inspections serve as reassurance that all work was performed to code and is safe. Upon completion we will provide a Certificate of Compliance accordingly. TFC Electric Inc. performs to meet or exceed National and local electrical codes. We comply with NEC standards and work with inspectors from rough-in to final inspections- to make sure the job is done right, and more importantly, that the job is done SAFELY.

Is your home’s electrical system telling you something?

Flickering lights, high bills and damaged appliances can all be a sign of electrical problems on your home circuit. Identify problems from the list below, as well as the most appropriate solution.

Random crackling in an outlet, foul odors in a light switch or tripping circuit breakers accompanied by the sudden quiet of appliances… these sounds can be a red flag that something’s wrong with your electrical system.

Troubleshooting issues like this is how we identify the problem; making it right is what we do. Check out some of the most common indicators that every homeowner needs to know:


    Electrical surges can be caused by anything from lightning strikes, damage to power lines, faulty appliances and bad electrical wiring in the house. While an actual surge only lasts a microsecond, frequent surges can damage the electrical components connected to your home, degrading their life expectancy significantly.


    Like electrical surges, dips in electrical supply can often be attributed to devices may be faulty or made with substandard materials and draw a lot of power when they are turned on.


    Dimmer switches that don’t adjust light properly can often be attributed to poor workmanship or faulty products. If you have just moved into a new house and find switches that don’t seem to activate anything at all, this might be a sign the switches have been out of date and fixtures removed, or it could be a fault in the outlet, circuit or wiring.


    High wattage items like microwaves and hairdryers can trip circuit breakers, particularly when other power consuming items are used on the same source. A circuit breaker is designed to protect you and your home, so when it does trip, that’s a sign it’s doing its job.Look at what you were using when it tripped. If it was a hair dryer, try using the low setting. Alternatively, limit the electrical usage on a single circuit while high watt devices are in use.


    One of the biggest causes of frequent circuit breaker tripping is the overloading of power boards. Most homes and apartments, even newer ones, don’t have enough power points to cater to, for example, a complete home entertainment unit setup. If circuit breakers in your home are tripping frequently, it could be down to circuit overload.


    If some lights around the house seem excessively bright but others are dim, then there’s two probable causes:

    1. Different types of lights with different wattage: Check that all the globes are identical.
    2. Bad main neutral connection: This will continue to cause problems for the home until it is fixed by a professional.
  • ELECTRICAL SHOCKSAn electrical shock is a nasty experience. Even though they are usually pretty mild, something akin to a static shock, they remind us that electricity is dangerous when not properly utilized.Electrical shocks typically happen when you turn a device on or off. The issue could be with the appliance, or it could be in the wiring. You can test this by plugging in another device and seeing if the results are reproducible, however you’re just risking another electrical shock.

    Reducing the cost of your electrical bill could include:

    • Switching to a more cost-effective provider
    • Identifying electrical devices that may be causing power surges
    • Patching leaks in the hot water system
    • Unplugging appliances and chargers when not in use
    • Repairing damaged wiring or circuits

    There are a number of reasons your lights can be burning out too often:

    • Wattage is too high
    • Insulation is too close to the light
    • Bad wiring on the circuit
    • Bad wiring on the mains
    • On a dimmer switch, too much total wattage on one switch
    • If flickering, there is probably a poor connection on the circuit

    Isolating the issue can be tricky for non-professionals. If you’re going through light bulbs like it’s nobody’s business, it might be worth reaching out to an electrician to help identify the root cause of light bulb burnouts.


    Recessed lighting (like downlights) are equipped with safety devices that cut out power to the light when it gets too hot. You’re either using too high wattage on the bulb, or insulation in the ceiling is too close to the bulb.


    Check overhead lights every so often:

    • Are they producing excessive heat?
    • What is the total wattage on the circuit?
    • Are they insulated properly?

    Overheated lighting can be a fire risk, so be sure test regularly.

If electrical problems are ongoing around your home, you should consider contacting a licensed electrician.

Your safety is our top priority; troubleshooting issues with your electrical is typically included in our service call fee. We work hard to identify and diagnose what’s happening and then swiftly can proceed to make it right!

Contact Us For More Information

Request Free Estimate

"TFC shows up on time ready to go"

 "Tommy was very professional from day one."

 "Pete was very pleasant."

 "Highly recommend TFC Electric"

 "TFC has provided an excellent service"

 "Quote went well. Professional and nice."

 "TFC first to respond and clearest with price."

    Post a Review


    Emergency Service

    We provide emergency service, 24/7. If you have any type of power disruption, water and/or fire damage, or any type of troubleshooting issue that needs to be fixed immediately, we can help.

    Fire Island Service

    We are proud to say we offer year round electrical services to seasonal homes, specializing in the Pines Community.


    "I would definitely use him in the future and highly recommend him to others."

    View More