5 Possible Reasons Why Your Lights Don’t Work
You’d probably assume that faulty or dead lightbulbs are the reason for lights not working, but the truth is that this isn’t always the case! In fact, your light bulbs may not even have anything to do with it in certain situations.
The next time you find yourself sitting in the dark, here are some other possible causes to consider:
- Your circuit breaker. If your lights aren’t the only thing in the room failing to turn on, the issue could be stemming from your circuit breaker. That said, take a quick trip to your fuse box and see if any of the breakers have tripped.
- The lamp. When it’s a lamp that’s not working properly, it could have something to do with the switch. Try testing the lightbulb in a different light fixture – if it works, the lamp itself may be old or faulty.
- The outlet. A malfunctioning outlet could also be the root of the problem. Similar to what we suggested in reason #2, plug your lamp into a different outlet and see if that changes things – if it does, your original outlet may need some repairing.
- The wall switch. There’s always a chance that the wall switch is on the fritz! If there’s an issue with the wiring in your walls, your outlet/light fixture may not respond when you flip the switch into the “on” position.
- The light bulb is loose. Yes, this reason involves the light bulb, but it doesn’t mean that the light bulb is dead! Instead, you could just be experiencing a light bulb that’s come a bit loose – just jiggle it a bit/tighten it and see if that makes a difference.
As you can see, changing the light bulb won’t always be the solution, but if you know what other causes to look for, finding the root of the problem and fixing it can be rather simple!
Here at TFC Electric Inc., we provide a wide array of electrical services and can certainly help if your lighting problem requires more than just a new bulb. To learn more about our services or to make an appointment, please call (631) 589-2800 today.