Electrical Safety Tips for Home Holiday Decorations
Nothing says Christmas spirit quite like flashy decorations and extravagant lighting displays. But before you go decking your halls, read through these electrical safety tips from your friends at TFC Electric:
- Always purchase electrical decorations from reputable retailers.
- Make sure all outdoor extension cords and decorations are marked for outdoor use.
- All outdoor extension cords and decorations should be protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (or GFCIs).
- Inspect all lights, decorations, and extension cords for damage before use.
- Fasten all decorations securely, but not in a way that could damage the cord.
- Make sure cords are not being pinched by doors, windows, or heavy furniture.
- Keep all decorations clear of standing snow and water.
- If you must use a ladder, make sure it is safe and secure before climbing it.
- Always keep a 10 ft. distance between yourself and overhead power lines.
- Don’t overload your electrical outlets or extension cords.
- Never connect more than three strings of lights together.
- Do not connect more than 3 string of lights.
- Do not use electrical decorations that do not have a certification label.
- Be sure to shut off and unplug all electrical decorations before leaving the house or going to bed.
Looking for more ways to stay safe this holiday season? Check out these tips from the Electrical Safety Foundation.
TFC Electric provides residential and commercial electrician services to Suffolk County, Long Island. From installations to repairs, no job is too big or too small for our professionally trained technicians. Call us today for a free estimate at (631) 589-2800.